Thursday, August 28, 2008

Es realidad

I´m here. It´s different. It´s beautiful. It´s hard. It´s surreal. But as I sit here in the comfortable confines of a rather posh, downtown San Jose internet cafe, typing and thinking in English as a torrential downpour waits for me outside, I realize that I like the rain. With all disregard to the discomfort we feel when we get soaked to the bone, we always appreciate the feeling of being dry once again. Without the rain, we wouldn´t know life in contrast. We wouldn´t know balance. We wouldn´t love wet and dry. Costa Rica is wet. It´s shocking the amount of wet I feel right now, but I know I´ll learn to be in it... each moment. Bring it on.
I´ll be honest, I´m exhausted and the thoughts of a safe, familiar place like home with a language and culture that I actually comprehend sounds.... amazing. However, I know I actually want to be here, and see the otherside... eventually.
Last night was my first night with a new family. While watching CSI Miami in Spanish, I chatted to the best of my ability with Don Mario, Doña Albertina, y Carmen, all the while wishing I could just let them know already what was really inside wanting to get out. I now understand the tremendous frustration and awkwardness the people of Babel felt following God´s practical joke on humanity. It sucks being human yet not being able, in many cases, to understand or be understood by another human being, no matter how hard you try. Not to say that I didn´t communicate at all. On the contrary, I had many successful, however small, conversations with my new family members and their friends, but it definitely is a new sensation of frustration. Yeah... but it´s good. Tis´good. And I´m glad. If it wasn´t hard, I don´t know if I would like it. It it wasn´t a challenge, I probably wouldn´t be here.
Today we explored the city and were nicely interrogated in an interview setting regarding our limited Spanish abilities. I´ve been ready to fall asleep all day, assuming getting up at 5:30 had nothing to do with the fatigue:) But my 30 minutes is about up.... so stayed tuned to higher levels of energy, thought processing, clarity, and course, claro que si, pictures as well. Amor a ustedes.

6 comments:

Jeffrey said...

Andrew, I'm glad you made it safley. Hang in there buddy... there is a reason for everything, I miss you alot! Have a wonderful time over there and I look forward to reading your next post.

Love

Jeffrey A Sellers

Beth Ann said...

Well this is my 1st "blog" ! Love the note! You have a awesome way with words.... Be safe, and remember Rome wasn't built in a day. Try to stay dry & I'll be looking for you.
Chow, Beth Ann

Jourdan said...

sweet blog andrew! i remember being in a different country and all the frustrations of not being able to communicate like you want to! Of course i WOULD feel that way, being the talker i am... :) anyways i'll see ya on the flip side!
jo

Anonymous said...

good words. can't wait for your next installment. much luv.

Grammy- Ann said...

Well Goodmorning and glad to hear you are pushing through. I'm sure your host family will enjoy their new house guest. Have a great experience. Blessings, Ann

teacheralby said...

Hi Andrew, Todd sent me your link. It's so good to hear how you're doing and read your experiences. You write really well! Love to you, Holly